Published papers and other works
The Relative Contribution of Syntactic and Semantic Prominence to the Salience of Discourse Entities. Doctoral
Thesis. Northwestern University; Evanston, Illinois. [pdf]
The Communicative Value of Filled Pauses in Spontaneous Speech. Master's Dissertation, University of
Birmingham; Birmingham, UK. [pdf]
- 2015. Rose, R.
Academic Reading in Science and Engineering, Book 2. DTP Publishing: Tokyo, Japan. [Amazon]
- 2015. Rose, R.
Academic Reading in Science and Engineering, Book 1. DTP Publishing: Tokyo, Japan. [Amazon]
- 2009. Rose, R. and Anthony, L.
Concept Building and Discussion — Applications. Tokyo: DTP Publishing. [Amazon]
- 2009. Anthony, L., Rose, R., and Sheppard, C.
Concept Building and Discussion — Foundations. Tokyo: DTP Publishing. [Amazon]
- 2016. Rose, R. "Automatic Word Quiz Construction Using Regular and Simple English Wikipedia". In
Proceedings of the International Technology, Education and Development Conference (INTED), pp. 8032-8040. [abstract]
- 2015. Rose, R. "Temporal Variables in First and Second Language Speech and Perception of Fluency". In The
Scottish Consortium for ICPhS 2015 (Ed.), In
Proceedings of the 18th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences. Glasgow, UK: the University of Glasgow. [paper]
- 2015. Rose, R. "Um and Uh as Differential Delay Markers: The Role of Contextual Factors". Disfluency in
Spontaneous Speech (DiSS), University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. [paper]
- 2013, August. Rose, R. "Crosslinguistic Corpus of Hesitation Phenomena: A corpus for investigating first and
second language speech performance". In Proceedings of the 14th Annual Conference of the International Speech
Communication Association (Interspeech 2013), Lyon, France, pp. 992-996. [poster,
- 2012 Rose, R. 「第二言語運用における躊躇現象と流暢性」 [Hesitation Phenomena and Fluency in Second Language Development]. In Manalo,
E., Sheppard, C., Rose, R., and Katada, F. (Contributors). 「高等教育における学生のコミュニケーション能力開発を巡る重要課題」 [Important issues
concerning the communication skills development of students in higher education] symposium.
Proceedings of the 54th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Association of Educational Psychology (pp. 894–895).
Tokyo: Japanese Association of Educational Psychology. [slides (ja),
- 2012 Watanabe, M. and Rose, R. "Pausology and Hesitation Phenomena in Second Language Acquisition". In
Robinson, P. (Ed.),
The Routledge Encyclopedia of Second Language Acquisition, New York/London: Routledge, pp. 480-483. [pre-publication version]
- 2011. "Joint Information Value of Syntactic and Semantic Prominence for Subsequent Pronominal Reference".
In Chiarcos, C., Claus, B., and Grabski, M., (Eds.)
Salience. Multidisciplinary Perspectives on its Function in Discourse, Mouton de Gruyter, pp. 81-103.
- 2010. "Accommodating Learning Styles: An EFL Pronunciation Course for Science and Engineering Students".
Professional Communication Conference (IPCC), 2010 IEEE International, pp. 138-142. [paper,
- 2008. "FilledPauses in Language Teaching: Why and How". In
Bulletin of Gunma Prefectural Women's University, 29: 47-64. [paper]
- 2007. "Pronoun Resolution and The Influence of Syntactic and Semantic Information on Discourse
Prominence". In Branco, A. (ed.),
Anaphora: Analysis, Algorithms and Applications, pp. 28-43. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. [paper,
- 2006. "Evidence for Gradient Salience: What Happens with Competing Non-salient Referents during Pronoun
Proceedings of the Australasian Language Technology Workshop, pp. 91-98. [paper,
- 2005. "The Phonological Optimization of Nicknames in Japanese: Why kids don't sing `Sachi-chan wa
Proceedings of Linguistics Society of Japan, 131, pp. 228-233. [abstract,
- 2005. "Joint Information Value of Syntactic and Semantic Prominence for Subsequent Pronominal Reference".
Salience in Discourse: Proceedings of Multidisciplinary Approaches to Discourse 2005, pp. 139-148. Amsterdam:
- 1999. "Silence is Golden?" In
TESOL Journal, 8: 35. [paper]
- 1998. "A Look at Lecture Discourse in the EFL Classroom". In
Hiroshima Notre Dame Seishin Junior College Faculty Research Bulletin, 21: 41-67. [paper]
- 1996. "Student-Produced Videos: Practical Tips for Memorable Productions". In
TESOL Video News, 7(2): 3ff. [paper]
- 1995. "Student-Produced Videos at Hiroshima Notre Dame Seishin Women's Junior College". In
Hiroshima Notre Dame Seishin Junior College Faculty Research Bulletin, 19: 23-36.
- 1995. "Video and the Boring Textbook". In
Video Rising, 6(1): 6-8.